Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
There is a place in Tasmania called Nowhere Else:
It's on Nowhere Else Rd, and near Lake Nowhere Else. Where else would it be?

Very good!! \:D
Did it survive the bad storm I saw on the news?
Or was it blown to somewhere?

M
OP Offline
M
etymological fallacy. Thanks. I sensed there was such a thing, but wasn't aware of the term and its currency. I think I'll use it, hopefully without committing it. Dropping the term early on in a discussion of a word's etymology might flush out anyone who will concede no possibility of fallacy in his thinking. Guessing and play-rationalizing are more fun among humble folks.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: morphememedley
etymological fallacy. Thanks. I sensed there was such a thing, but wasn't aware of the term and its currency. I think I'll use it, hopefully without committing it. Dropping the term early on in a discussion of a word's etymology might flush out anyone who will concede no possibility of fallacy in his thinking. Guessing and play-rationalizing are more fun among humble folks.

I'm familiar with the etymological fallacy (though it is more often applied to modern misunderstandings of ancient words). However, I wasn't aware that 'anonym' actually had a usage yet. I thought it was just a made up word, in which case all I had to go on is the lexical meaning of its component parts, which I think was the definition someone gave, wasn't it? I wasn't making the etymological fallacy - that is to ignore the meaning that a word has come to have apart from or despite the history of its formation from other words. I just doubted that the word is used at all.

And just for the record, I was wrong about something once before - that was the time I thought I was wrong but it turned out I was right all along! \:D

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
There is a place in Tasmania called Nowhere Else:
It's on Nowhere Else Rd, and near Lake Nowhere Else. Where else would it be?

Very good!! \:D
Did it survive the bad storm I saw on the news?
Or was it blown to somewhere?

No it's still Nowhere Else as far as I know. \:D

So, our little storm even made the news in Holland?

The South West of Tasmania had hurricane force winds, but fortunately no one lives there, it is largely an unpopulated wilderness. Some houses in Hobart and Launceston had roofs blown off, however, and there was a bit of tree damage here and there. The wind wasn't so bad where we are. It didn't trouble the big Copper Beech and Silver Birch trees in our front yard at all.

March was a weird month for weather here - we've had all sorts of hottest, coldest, wettest, driest, windiest, etc records recently.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

I'm familiar with the etymological fallacy (though it is more often applied to modern misunderstandings of ancient words). However, I wasn't aware that 'anonym' actually had a usage yet. I thought it was just a made up word, in which case all I had to go on is the lexical meaning of its component parts, which I think was the definition someone gave, wasn't it?

B&M OED gives an 1812 citation for the meaning '[a] person whose name is not given, who remains nameless.' The earliest citation for the synonym of pseudonym is 1865.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Faldage

I'm familiar with the etymological fallacy (though it is more often applied to modern misunderstandings of ancient words). However, I wasn't aware that 'anonym' actually had a usage yet. I thought it was just a made up word, in which case all I had to go on is the lexical meaning of its component parts, which I think was the definition someone gave, wasn't it?

B&M OED gives an 1812 citation for the meaning '[a] person whose name is not given, who remains nameless.' The earliest citation for the synonym of pseudonym is 1865.

Ah, so it's a person, not a name. It's more like the terms ghostwriter or proxy or absentee than the term pseudonym - in that it describes the state of a person, not the name they take (or don't take).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: Faldage

why do I bother, even?

-joe bfstplk

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good question.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's an ungrateful world and we are part of it. \:\/ /anon.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A) tsuwm posted that thing two days ago. Lotsa posts under the bridge since then.

2) The Pook made a post that seemed as though he had forgotten tsuem's post, too. It needed answering.

Þ) Whaddus I sposed to do? Remember tsuwm's post? I don't think so. Look it up in the OED (which tsuwm didn't even bother to mention that's where he got his)? Sounds good to me.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith