Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#175472 04/03/08 05:31 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Anonym feels better than pseudonym when applied to a handle that I use. Upon spotting anonym I was surprised not to have known about it, given my interest in anonymity.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I hadn't heard that one before, I like it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Never knew the use of anonym as such either; pseudonym has this little ring of falseness to it. A false name , so I felt like looking it up:

Bartleby.com
Syllabication: pseu-do
Adjective: False or counterfeit
Etymology : from pseudo

Pseudo ,noun: a person who makes deceitful pretenses;
adjective: (often used in combination) not genuine but having the appearance of
(Example: "A pseudo esthete")

Etymology:
pseudo: comb. form meaning "false, feigned, erroneous," from Gk. pseudo-, comb. form of pseudes "false," or pseudos "falsehood," both from pseudein "to deceive." The prefix has been used as a stand-alone word for "false person, pretender" since c.1380.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would say with a pseudonym pretty much everyone knows who it refers to. Anonym works much better for most web purposes. Nobody knows you're a dog.

old hand
old hand
This is interesting when you dig into the etymology of these words. Whereas pseudonym comes from "false", anonym comes from "lacking, not having", shading the meaning away from "fake name" to "nameless". If you search around, one synonym you'll see is nom de guerre. Knowing the "guerre" part had to be war, I find this a bit strange: "war name"? And then why not "nom de plume" for a synonym? Justing musing this morning.... :0)

old hand
old hand
I've never heard pseudo used as a noun - must be a neologism.

How can a handle be an anonym if anonym means lacking a name? I don't think a forum handle is either a pseudonym or an anonym. I don't think anonym exists at all as a word - you can't have a nameless name; and a handle is not a false name, it is usually a nickname. Sometimes it can even be your real name! A pseudonym is a real life name not your own that you take on for reasons of anonymity (eg a celebrity wanting to avoid paparazzi) or for nefarious reasons, or if you are a spy, etc. The Pook is not a pseudonym because it is not a name at all.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, you end up a stray dog once you start looking up things. Etymology is a captivating thing, leading from one word to another. I'm looking for restraint rather than running astray.(sofar pretty unsuccesful) \:\)

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I was inclined to agree with Pook til I looked it up

http://onelook.com/?w=anonym+&ls=a

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
I don't think anonym exists at all as a word

I'm quite sure you mean something else here, but..

anonym
1. A person whose name is not given, who remains nameless. (Often anonyme, as in Fr.)
1812 BYRON in Moore Life (1866) 166, I should hardly wish a contest with..all the anonymes and synonymes of Committee Candidates. 1866 DE MORGAN Budg. Parad. 10 Among my anonymes is a gentleman who is angry at my treatment of the ‘poor but thoughtful’ man who, etc. 1878 H. H. GIBBS Ombre 78 Sir Anonym (as..[Dr. Pole in Macmillan 1875]..calls the third player) being at Belinda's right hand, and the Baron at her left.

2. A fictitious designation, concealing the real name of a writer; a pseudonym. (Cf. synonym.)
1866 Anti-Slavery Rep. 2 July 169/1 The writer, who signs himself St. Jago de la Vega, is scarcely veiled under his anonym. 1882 Nonconf. 5 May 401/3 The critic crowing loudly behind his anonym sneers at Dr. Hutton.
[OED2]

perhaps you'd agree that the appellation 'anon' that you often see attached to citations is an anonym?!

-ron o.

p.s. - Date: Tue Aug 1 00:22:50 EDT 1995
Subject: A.Word.A.Day--anonym

Last edited by tsuwm; 04/03/08 02:44 PM.
old hand
old hand
First off, "The Pook" most definitely IS a name, because it's what at least one person calls you, making it a name! So there!

tsuwm: Here's a grin for today: When I was young, I thought "Anonymous" was a famous person, maybe Greek or something, who wrote a whole lot of stuff... LOL! :0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 580 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith