Re: And your other comment about the hallways that are outside apartments. Could they be referred to as 'breezeways'?

I never hear that term (breezeway's) in NY...

I know, in the past, we have done some thread on buildings and terms for residences...and some of this thread might end up as a YART, but i don't care... it was a long way back.

My apartment has a terrace..(a 5 X 10 foot)(or about 1.5 X 3.5 M/rough estimate here) out side space..(for my private use) but my home had a deck (an elevated outside space made of wood) some homes have patio's (which to me, are outside spaces that are at ground level(and are very close to level with the lowest level of the house. In US ranch style houses, which have no basement/cellar areas, this often means they are level with the main floor of the house.

I think of a breezeway as covered are, often with open sides, but it could be screen in, or even have half walls and windows/screens above, that connects the main building of the residence with an out-building (usually a garage, but it could connect to a guest house)

The exterior hallways(catwalks)are about 4 feet wide (a bit over a meter)and they have metal railings, and mesh fencing, that is about 5 feet high. anyone with a serious fear of heights would find them uncomfortable--at least at my level (14th floor).