fear of foreign people

I am not sure, Father. But this crosses close to another question I would also like to ask, so since the territory is similar may I be shown mercy for tagging on here?

As America wakes up to the dawn of election day for the post of de facto leader of the free world, I recall some recent comments from Richard Lister, a BBC correspondent. He remarked on the fact that of the candidates, one had only been outside of the USA three times in his life, referred to the inhabitants of Greece as ‘Greecians’, and did not know the names of the leaders of either Pakistan or India (the most populous democracy in the whole world). Many Americans do not consider this a major handicap – one third of the members of the august House of Congress do not even hold a passport.

This got me thinking about the difference in attitude engendered by island-dwelling races, and the reflection that living on a small landmass may make a society paradoxically less insular in its core attitudes.

The question: is there a word or phrase that describes insularity of attitude that might be more appropriate to a non-island dwelling people?