In response to Jackie, the only information I can find on 'Pickardil', and it’s not too convincing, comes from Webster’s 1828 dictionary:

PICK'ARDIL , n. [probably from the root of pike, peak.]
A high collar or a kind of ruff.

I’ll try the OED when I get home tonight and see if it has more to say.

Yes, London is rich in archaeological finds The Greater London Archaeological Advisory Service deals with those aspects for any new development. There is an excitement in strolling around London just looking at what there is to see.

The Savoy Palace occupied by John o’ Gaunt as his London home from 1361 was burned to the ground in 1381 during the Peasant’s Revolt. It has been rebuilt a couple of times since then and its latest incarnation since about 1890 is as a quite well known London hotel called The Savoy. Rhapsody in Blue (which I love) had its first performance there, played by Gershwin himself.

I've always liked John of Gaunt because after twice marrying politically at a time when such people could not marry for love, he finally married his long term mistress, Katherine Swynford, and had their four children legitimised. For those days that shows great affection and a strong sense of justice I think. How delighted they must have been to do it. This link deals briefly with her story and how her bloodline went into the British royal family. I don't believe there can be much of her and her John in the present lot!

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Swynford