The Big Dig was a major issue when we drove through Boston in 2001. Shambolic! But not as bad as ... oooh, Auckland City without the Big Dig or Sydney (with or without the Big Dig) or the East End of London (which seems to be a permanent Big Dig).

We don't seem to have any mental regearing problems with which side of the road to drive on. When you're in the US or Europe, it all just comes natural-loike to drive to the right.

The biggest problem (as someone above said) are the give way rules. It's panic stations in the US when you come up to a controlled intersection which doesn't have a "Right Turn On Red" sign. Can you or can't you? Quite often the car behind you will "remind" you that it's okay, but if you just chance it the odds are that a cop will be waiting somewhere just for li'l ol' moi.

A recent example of the give way rules confusion is that in Britain the de facto rule is that right gives way to left. Well actually, that ain't the formal rule, but it's the way everyone drives, and I've got used to it over the past 18 months. Back in the Zild last month, I had to remember that left gives way to right. Nearly had an accident, which drove the point home. But when I came back I had to remember the opposite all over again. Damn!

- Pfranz