"The book. Oh, heaven, save us, the book! There were some fine examples of literature, but the short stories from other nations? Thin. Very. Infantile language. Too obvious moral points being made."

I'm a strong relativist, but one observation I've made is the tendency among the more shallow relativists to insist that somehow all cultures are equal or have made or are capable of making equal contributions. So any inane drivel is just as artistic as Shakespeare, any ignorant diatribe is just as important as Plato, any loose fancy is as important as Newton or Archimedes.

What a condescending bunch of yahoos it is who serves up a splatter of thin gruel and calls it dinner. I think some of these people through religious conviction that all cultures are equivalent assert that anything anyone has to say in those cultures is somehow equivalent - completely oblivious (even if one buys in to the current slogans that all are equal) that they don't share all of the same strengths. Discernment is equated with bigotry and ethnocentrism, judgement with prejudice.

k