Ah, yes, Canis, I see your point. Don't mistake me, my daughter had plenty of friends.....just not the "popular" friends. My son, on the other hand, is in "The" popular clique because he plays for the basketball team, which is held in high esteem by classmates and adults alike. My daughter was in a bookclub, but the bookclub was not held in such esteem as the basketball team is, lol! Nobody cheered her from the sidelines "Go! Turn that page! Read those words! Finish that chapter!" People come up to me all the time and tell me how wonderful my son is.......just because he can dribble a ball and hit the net. No one ever came up to me and admired my daughter for her brains and reading ability.

(this sounds like a bitter diatribe on my part.......not so! Both kids are well adjusted people, I am merely pointing out how reading is not such a popular activity for kids, hence one of the original points of this thread: that our perceptions of words and their meanings is indicative of how people are perceived.)

<And she smoothly unjacks the thread>