To me, it's like banning books. Books shouldn't be banned, they should be read and discussed and ripped and shredded metaphorically. Same thing with words; unless we talk about why negative icons exist we'll never break the molds.

you're absolutely right. perhaps when images and phrases are used in a textbook, the teacher would have time to have that discussion. I know I try when we(my choruses) come across a stereotypical use in a song. however, in a standardized test, there is not the chance to have that discussion, and the problem of perpetuating those stereotypes still exists.
again, I will say that, for me, the PC discussion is centered around the way we use words and phrases and images, and being aware of the way those can be interpreted. if we can change the way we use words, to affect how someone views something, to expand their perception of the world around them, isn't that a good thing? Stereotypical interpretations exist, I know, I grew up with a lot of them, even in an open, tolerant, loving family.

<ok roger, deep breath, relax, this is a friendly, open discussion >

formerly known as etaoin...