Re: Dungarees, to me, have always been uniquely part of the enlisted uniform in the U.S. Navy.

coast guard, too, and not they are not overalls, which have a bib that covers the chest and shoulder straps (cover alls, have sleeves, collars, and close with a zipper down the front.)

doesn't chicago have triple deckers too? NY has brownstones (very similar, and not always faced with brown sandstone, originally 1 family homes, now sometimes 2 or 3 or even 4 apartments)
NY fire code requires a metal fire escape for 3 (or more) family dwellings, (unless they are rated fireproof, and then they can get away with interior fire stairwells), so triple deckers are rare. when they exist, they are "legal 2 family homes, illegal 3's--and not too common.
(boston and chicago triples i have seen have a back porch with a stair way, but often the porch and stair way is wooden) and Boston and Chicago triples are free standing, or at best, share one common wall. the alley between them is often narrow. but NY's brownstones are almost always attached on both sides. (i know, its a bit off track and a bit of YART. we did a thread about housestyles over a year ago, but i don't think triples came up, then.)