I am a bundle of likes and dislikes, like any human.

I'm sure it shouldn't matter to anyone else that I don't like acronyms, in particular the word "YART". I'm sure that other people don't like some of the words I use (like orientated - Jackie, or all those extra letters in words - Anna). To be really trivial it may be a simple as the word re-hashed sounding like something kind of stew that has been on a plate, thrown back into the pan and served up again, probably relates to my mother's cooking, think about something Baldrick would have made in Blackadder and you'll get my drift. I can't think that any of our conversations are as bad as that. I did mind when it became a bit too commonly used and I feared that it might put people off posting but I think that has all calmed down now.

Another word that doesn't do anything for me is "gutter", my first thought when I hear the word gutter is the pipe which goes round the bottom of a roof before it takes the water down the drainpipe, and I always wonder why people would want to be hanging off the side of a roof, so it doesn't fit the most common usage here ... but I wouldn't be so churlish as to spoil the fun.

I do dislike people "nitpicking" about the spelling and grammar used in posts (especially as I no longer spell check my posts as Aenigma and I speak a different language). I think that we are pretty good on that these days. I occassionally get a pleasant private mail pointing out things that are incorrect (when it makes a material difference) and it gives me an opportunity to make minor alterations in peace. I often chnage posts when I see them the next day as I'n goog at typos!

All in all I think we're quite good at accommodating other people's likes and dislikes without getting locked into mortal combat. From what I saw of the Usenet list, we sounded pretty civilised (as Max said, no Nazi postings anyway).