As my computer is at my workplace, and as I work part-time (see my comments elsewhere about the iniquities of the British Higher Educational system!) the pile-up of postings is a weekly occurence for me. It can be difficult to catch up, and I undoubtedly miss some things because of it.
But I would deeply regret any major curbing of the anarchy that rules this board, and rules it so benignly.
I take maverick's point about finding a suitable place for one's postings, but if the mood is on one to be irreverent, I think that it should be indulged, otherwise we lose a valuable leaven and are left with something analagous to the half-cooked flour-and-water concoctions that we used to immolate on the camp-fire when we were young.
There is a welcome trend to start new threads (what's wrong with Fred, anyway??) when the original theme is lost below the horizon, an dthis should, perhaps, be encouraged. But irrelevance and irreverence are part and parcel of the charm of all the threads, for me.
(Besides - even if I totally agreed with the substance of mav's proposed "rules"*, I know I would be the first to break them )

OK, mav, I know you don't mean them as rules - and I do agree with the sentiment that inspired them - I just think that any attempt in this direction is (a) doomed to failure and (b) would alter the flavour of the board too much if they didn't fail.