Even Jackie hasn't progressed beyond Dear or Dearie.)

Well, Sweet Thing, let me set about remedying that little situation! I don't remember ever calling anybody
"Dearie", but if I call you Hon, it doesn't mean I have the hots for you! Mercy--I call women that, too!

Easing over to touch on the thread topic: nanosecond seems to be making its way into casual conversation. Whoa--I just looked up nanosecond on Gurunet, to see if my memory
was accurate (it wasn't), and what I found was so interesting, I'm copying it below.
----------------------------------------------------------

nanosecond
(This definition follows U.S. usage in which a billion is a thousand million and a trillion is a 1 followed by 12 zeros.)

A nanosecond (ns or nsec) is one billionth (10-9) of a second and is a common measurement of read or write access time to random access memory (RAM).

For comparison, a millisecond (ms or msec) is one thousandth of a second and is commonly used in measuring the time to read to or write from a hard disk or a CD-ROM player or to measure packet travel time on the Internet.

A microsecond (us or Greek letter mu plus s) is one millionth (10-6) of a second.

A picosecond is one trillionth (10-12) of a second, or one millionth of a microsecond.

A femtosecond is one millionth of a nanosecond or 10-15 of a second and is a measurement sometimes used in laser technology.

An attosecond is one quintillionth (10-18) of a second and is a term used in photon research.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Created on August 18, 1998.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1996-99 by whatis.com Inc. All rights reserved.