here, finally, are the compiled results:

a) the art of astral projection, causing one's spirit to leave one's body and appear to other people [Bingley]

b) the Wiccan practice of casting spells to ensure the proper functioning of food preparation [Faldage]

c) the art of sauce making [bonzai]

d) delicate woodwork detailing such as may be found decorating pews and pillars in churches and cathedrals; the art of carving such detailing [mg] wofa, Faldage, slithy

e) an ancient Masonic body of metaphysical knowledge attained through the practice of necromancy and ritualistic chant [ASp] milum, ASp

f) the art of making ketchup [musick]

g) the hangman's craft (from Jack Ketch, a famous London executioner, c. 1663-1686) [Forgotten English®] W-O'N, Jackie, Bingley, bonzai, mg

h) a type of strong brown paper used esp. for making lunch bags or sacks (also formerly, used to refer to a sackcloth garment worn by an offender when doing public penance) [joe friday] TEd

i) the process of manufacturing masts for single-masted sailing vessels used primarily in light craft obstacle maneuvers (handling) and racing [Wordwind] Rubrick, birdfeed, rav, Jeepers

j) the art of drawing with tomato sauce. [consuelo]

k) the creation of artworks meant to be impermanent, i.e. sculptures made of sand, ice, or foam [slithy] dxb

l) whittling [wofa] consuelo,

m) cooking with ketchup [WO'N] Coffeebean

n) Scandinavian cabinetry making [Jeepers] Wordwind, musick, sjm

o) If it isn't boat building it sure as hell ought to be. [TEd]

this round was much too easy, as the actual def'n amassed five(5) votes plus dxb defined it exactly (garnering bonus points).

coming a near second in the voting was Wordwind's one-masted entry--this after my pointed hint that it had nothing to do with two-masted ships (which is the def'n of a ketch). I don't remember being that devious in the past that you should expect this. on the other hand, I had a similar def'n in hand until Wordwind blew it away with hers.