I appreciate that this isn't the forum in which to carry on about one of my obsessions (consciousness studies in philosophy and science), so here's a link to take you to some reference material:

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~chalmers/online.html

Once you get there, however, you are going to have to do your own looking up.

For those who prefer their information printed, and part-digested, here are some books that talk about these matters:

Consciousness Explained Daniel Dennett (also wrote the more well-known Darwin's Dangerous Idea)

The rediscovery of the mind John Searle (had to include him in fairness - I may disagree with his ideas, but his advocacy of freedom of speech and other liberal notions makes him someone I respect)

How the mind works Stephen Pinker (one of the best all-round books on the subject, by the well-known author of The language instinct)

How brains think William Calvin (a research scientist in neurobiology explains how the brain works to produce thought - outstanding stuff, though you may have to get past his own hobby-horse of ballistics being the key to consciousness/intelligence)

Think Simon Blackburn (a general introduction to philosophy, and a remarkably good one, in my opinion)

I think all of these are still in print, and they should be available on Amazon (or your local big bookshop could order them for you).

I shall do my best not to talk about consciousness and meaning any more on this board. I promise (I can be a good boy, I can...)

cheer

the sunshine warrior