Yes, sorry about that. I completely forgot that this wasn't an ISS related shuttle mission. As a result they were orbiting at a much lower altitude and so an abort to the ISS was not an option. A re-entry despite the risks seemed to be the only possibility and I'm sure that the astronauts were aware of this. One probability for the breakup could've been that the re-entry trajectory was recalibrated to compensate for a minor hull breach and the shuttle was pitched at a steeper angle. This would result in more turbelence, stress on the hull and an increased likelihood of hull failure. It's plausible.

It has always been my dream to fly to space - even now. I've only met one astronaut (candidate, actually) and he was young, a genius and incredibly fit. Plus he was genial, eloquent and astute. Perhaps the last three are the most important. He told me that his interview was in front of 14 people (all senior NASA members and ex-astronauts) and the chair was John Young - the most experienced astronaut ever. His heart monitor (worn 24 hours a day) measured over 180bpm and he almost lost his lunch. He got the job. If astronauts feel scared in those situations - imagine how they feel sitting on top of a Hydrogen and Oxygen-filled bomb.