I'm sure Rubrick can kerreckt this info I am about to give if it is inkerreckt, but I've heard that such bags don't work.
I trusted my source because it was a camera shop that sells the bags....Why would they turn away a potential sale?
yet they did.

I'll answer this by simply pasting in a section of one of my posts from way above near the top of this thread.

As for film I'm a keen photographer and take my camera with me on all my trips. As a rule I take everything as cabin baggage and pack only my tripod and other hardies in my hold luggage. The x-ray machine used for hold luggage is much more powerful than the one used for passengers and cabin baggage so your films stand a much better chance of survival staying with you. I carried back tewlve rolls of film from NY in December 2001 (after stringent security was introduced) and they all came out perfectly.

There was a time (not so long ago) when you were entitled to a manual search of some bags (like a camera bag) to spare some valuable items the ardours of x-rays. They may still do it here (except on paranoiac US flights) but I fear that those days are now long gone.

As for x-rays going through lead - if they fo through lead they ain't x-rays. Lead-lined bags are a swizz. Show your films to the security guy and then walk through the friskem. That works on magnets - not x-rays - and magnets don't affect film.