Clothing. I talked to my best friend who has traveled in Ireland a lot and asked her how to pack. This is what she wrote back to me, summarized:

Layers
Raincoat (necessary)
Comfortable shoes
Jacket for cool nights--combine the raincoat/jacket, she suggests

She didn't say whether heavy sweaters would be necessary for nights.

Now, I know this is probably of little interest to anybody, but I tend to have the worst instincts when it comes to packing for long trips. Always carry too much, which I can't stand. So I am going to make a big effort here to pack economically. And, if there is a sympathetic British ear out there who will help, thanks very much in advance.

1. Will jeans pretty much do it?
2. Are heavy sweaters probably necessary at night for those of us who shiver easily?
3. Lights-weight tops: Any sense in taking them at all that time of year? (IN other words, should I just leave my sleeveless tops back in the US?)
4. Bathing suits, I would guess, would be pretty much out of the question.
Thanks for your input. Packing for over a week is hard for me anyway, but I sure do intend to pack as lightly as possible this time. I told my friend in Connecticut: "Maybe I should just carry an empty suitcase and buy everything over there as needed." (I was just kidding, but, if I had a limitless budget--I don't--I'd almost be tempted.)

Best regards,
WW