Guy

I have to dissent from this appellation. To me - and possibly to any other Brit of fairly mature years - the term "guy" is mildly abusive. To be a "guy", to me, is to be garishly decked out and looking grotesque, particularly if you have achieved this appearance by trying too hard to look sophisticated and soignée. It is a reference, of course, to the stuffed effigy that is burned annually on the bonfires of England on November 5th to celebrate the death of the martyr who nobly tried to rid this country of an oppressive monarch.

Also, as a verb, to "guy" someone is to make fun of them by parodying their actions.

The musical "Guys and Dolls," together with other Americam influences, has made the word at least understood in its transatlantic sense, and, for younger people especially, made it respectable. Time for that glass of wine and fast embrace with Jackie, eh paulb?

But I can't bring myself to be at ease with the term, any more than I like ayleur (mainly because the redundant "r" offends my sense of propriety - sorry Max)