I finally found the time to dig up my Escher book and read again about 'Belvedere'. It threw up another couple of interesting observations that I had completely skipped when I accessed the link; thought I'd share them in a post.

- Was entitled "The Phantom House" in trial studies.
- The preparatory sketches included a spiral staircase around a pillar; the definitive version has a ladder
- The top storey and the one immediately beneath, appear at right angles to each other
- Of the eight pillars that join the two storeys together, only the extreme right and the extreme left behave normally
- The other six connect the front side to the rear side somehow passing through the space in the middle
- The ladder is ramrod straight, and yet, its bottom end is clearly inside the building whilst the top end is propped against the outer edge. So is the man in the middle, inside the building or outside? aaarrrrghhhh..
- The boy at bottom left is holding a model of the framework of the cube, when actually such a model cannot be built. Belvedere spawned multiple efforts to create just such a model, but despite several attempts to do so, the closest one has come to it, is a photograph by Dr.Cochran who entitled it "Crazy Crate". His photograph was only a simulation however.
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Canal/8167/escher.html

The link above, states that the Cube was used as a detail in Belvedere; my book says the opposite. Anyone?

Thank you to both AnnaS and Rubrick for 'belvedere'. It's a most beautiful word.

Edit: The link above, states that the Cube was used as a detail in Belvedere; my book says the opposite.

No conflict here, the cube is a detail in the Lithograph. Dr. Cochran's pictorial effort came later.