I read about the AWArD in the current Smithsonian Magazine. I browse the subjects when I get the mag, saw Anu's picture, read the article and logged on. I have been involved with words all my life. This is my first board. The participants all "read" so warm and friendly, funny and punny. Even my blunders were (and are) corrected kindly and considerately. All this confirms my opinion that book people and word people are kind, generous of spirit and all together thoroughly fine people. I was going to say "nice people" then I made a swift trip to the New Shorter Oxford English CD and WHOA ..there are definitions of nice that NEVER entered my mind. Perhaps we could have a thread on nice? I rely on your good will when I blunder; your forbearance when I get pompous; your good will when I try your patience. Let me know when I get out of line. Be blunt as I don't always get hints! Thank you to all for the words of welcome. I hope you are all enjoying the holly daze. It is past my bedtime so I am going to sign off now. Sweet dreams, all.WOW
Any more guesses as to meaning of wow? There are two already that I didn't think of... woman of wonder is apt (wrong but apt) as wondering is stock in trade for writers.