And so, whilst Asians such as Indians, Iranians or Kazakhs might not consider the term Oriental a slur of any sort, it is reasonable to expect that some annoyance will be generated by this generic clubbing of races and its use might even be misconstrued as a demonstration of disinterest in other cultures.

The same can be said for the term Hispanic. I feel it's, at least, improper, if not downright insulting to lump people as culturally diverse as Mexicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, continental Spanish, Argentinians, Filipinos, etc., all under one term, and I try to avoid using it in favor of individual descriptives or "Latin." (i.e. "of Filipino descent", etc). Hispanic is like a generic hyphen without a hyphen. That's the problem with hyphenations, for instance, African-American...where does that leave the Egyptians, the South Africans, etc? Interestingly, we are good friends with a family from Nigeria, and they are very particular about stressing their Nigerian heritage and vehemently dislike and object to the term "African-American". The same with European-American...the Greeks, the Finnish, the Russians, the Portugese, the Swedes, the Irish, etc., are just too diverse to be generically indicated.