Oh, dear! I've come very late into a Fascinating Fred (FF?)

Two things have struck me. First, I know exactly what shanks means about "your people," it is not so much the words as the tone they are said in (sometimes the tone is kept hidden, but it is still there) and the tone is that one of Absolutely English Total Bloody Patronage - an assumption that, whatever "your people" are, we, the English, are better than you. Brittania rules the waves and every other damned thing as well.
It is also used by the "upper" classes toward a class that is "lower." shanks is quite right to be offended by it - even if only mildly so, possibly with feelings of, "Oh, well! - they know no better." I have heard the tone on other's voices when speaking to "foreigners" - especially to black foreigners whose grandparents were born in England - and have cringed inwardly.

The second point is "wogs": I have always understood (by hearsay, not by research) that Egyptian labourers on the Suez Canal during the First World War (I think) either had passes or else had their clothing marked with the intials W.O.G.S. - Workers On Government Service. Most certainly, when I was but a child, the term "wogs" was always applied to Arabs, and it was only later that I heard it applied to people from India or Pakistan. Later still, I heard it applied to Carribeans as well.