Some of the departures from Tolkein’s tale could be understood. For example, Aragorn’s fall into the river and the dream sequence not only gave more screen time to Liv Tyler as Arwen but it reminded the audience of her existence (some of the audience may well have forgotten her after a year; not LotR addicts of course) and explained his lack of interest in Eowyn. Frodo’s dream of Gandalf and the Balrog, like the visit to Osgiliath, gave information and background quickly saving a lot of dialogue and footage. Other changes seemed inexplicable. I won’t list them, but was Arwen Evenstar shown leaving for the Grey Havens already? I assume she will change her mind and come back? Or was I mistaken and she was riding off somewhere else entirely?

Despite all that, I thoroughly enjoyed the film and can't believe the story will ever be better presented filmically.

Has anyone seen the new StarTrek film? Apparently it's a bit of a turkey, but I guess I'll see it anyway since I'm wedded to a Trekkie.