I think that while we all may be happy to choose to belong to certain groups we dislike having groups thrust upon us (with all the inherent assumptions).

It's interesting that some people (you know who you are - RhubarbCommando!) would prefer not to tell us their gender and we've discussed in the "poster sex" thread the kind of assumptions people make, based on really very small amounts of information about us. Even without looking at extreme racisc groups we have all made assumptions about others based on a first impression.

Whilst I am reasonably happy for people to know I am female. There are some circumstances where I would prefer not to discuss the religion in which I was brought up. I feel that incorrect assumptions could be made about my politics and whilst I'd be happy to discuss those with friends I'd rather not discuss it with the world in general. The problem with an assumption based on colour of skin is that is way too broad and is so easy to do. I can understand Shank's reluctance to be placed into a group by others.