In parts of NY, Flushing, Asian is used to define a mixture of Chinese, Japanese, Korean and others-- there is an area called "new china town", but Koreans currently dominate. It's not a tourist site, rather just a popular neighborhood that has attracted immigrants from several areas. There are a several Thai, and even Malaysia restaurants, and most of the Filipino's I know live in the general area, and I am sure that there are other ethnic/national groups are there--take out restaurants are usually the first indication of a group presence..
Occasionally, natives (i.e., North Europeans who have lived in the area for more than 25 years) complain that there are too many signs that aren't in English. But the influx of so many immigrants has revitalized the area, and mostly what they are upset about is the lack of free parking!
It can be pretty difficult-- I live at the east edge of Flushing, and our local elementary school did a survey, in a school of 320 students, 30 different languages spoken at home! But my area is slightly more mixed, Hindi, Urdu and Farsi are included in the list of languages.

Most new comer sort themselves out quickly and decide for themselves how to hyphenate their ethic group.

My daughter in law, has a Philippine mother, an Aussie father, grew up in Singapore, but considers herself a San Franciscan (CA)!