re:"Bus Stop" is the place along the route where you flag a bus down; "Bus Station"

reminds me of a NY Triva game question..

Where is Grand Central Station?

most guess 42nd Street, some even place it at the intersection of 42nd Street and Park Avenue...

but the answer is 45th Street and Lexington.

Grand Centeral Termimal, is a Railroad terminal-- a terminal is a place where trains come to the end of the line . Grand central terminal is at 42nd Street and Park Avenue. (Park Avenue, for pedestrains passes through the terminal, the roadway for cars is routed round the terminal, (the opening scene of Men in Black is filmed on the roadway which is elevated, and actually passes through a building!)

Grand Central Station, is a Post office Station. (a place where mail starts and stops, and also passes through! it is on Lexington Avenue!

Penn(sylvaina) Station on the west side is a Rail road Station, traffic from Boston (or Washington) stops at New York, and passes through to Washington (or Boston)

So I also think of there is a difference between a train station, and a train terminal. all stops on a train are stations. bus stop are stops, and buses terminate at a depot. and post office buildings as stations too...and i buy my gas at a gas station, (i understand filling station, but it is old fashioned, and not terminology i would use.)