The phenomenon I'm thinking of is the habit of using two different spelling conventions for the same name, even though both languages use the same alphabet. The examples that were put before me are Irish, and were mentioned by a music cataloger here at the library where I work. He was cataloging one of those Alan Lomax folk music compilations of folk music and noticed that the cataloging information included two spellings of some Irish names: Maire O'Sullivan and Máire Ní Shúillebháin. (I hope everyone's software can accomodate my character set) "Sullivan" and "Shúillebháin" are pronounced the same, the former spelling being the one digested to suit English sensibilities. My colleague's question, and he seemed to think I might know someone who knows, was what do you call that? It's not transliteration, since both Irish Gaelic and English use (mostly) the same alphabet. So what izzit? I suggested "Oppressor-compatible Orthography", given the particular situation of English landowner needing to keep records of Irish peasants in a form they, the English, could handle. But is there a term for it really?