This is just my opinion, but:

I think geography needs to be taught rigorously in at least 4th - 6th grades as a separate subject. The way things go here, geography is included in social studies, which is fine and good. The kids get to study the interplay between geographical points of fact and the movement of cultures. Lots of connections.

But I also think geography needs to be taught as a separate discipline, in-depth according to grade level, at least by 4th grade. When I was in elementary school--about 1955 through 1961 (1st - 6th grade)--we did study geography as a separate discipline in the upper elementary grade levels. It was one of my favorite subjects. And we also studied geography as part of social studies, but that experience simply wasn't as in-depth. By having a separate geography book, studying specific geographical areas, learning about political divisions of those areas as well as natural divisions (topography), natural products, climate, names of rivers and lakes and other bodies of water, an so on, I think we came to a better, elementary understanding of what geography encompasses. And it's another subject offering that will allow more children to do well. I always enjoyed studying geography more than history. Still do. I don't mind reading about history through geography, but most history books have put me to sleep in short order.