laying claim to 'absolute' knowledge

shanks,

Without wishing to put the cat among the pigeons, I think there is some merit in establishing that scientific thought isn't the be-all and end-all.

I agree very strongly that such thinking shouldn't be used as a means of promoting any political agenda, let alone one that could be seen as favouring ignorance and laziness. But sometimes it's important to realise that theories are just theories, however well they have worked up to now, and that science doesn't have all the answers.

It seems to me this is about restoring an appropriate awe and the ability to marvel at what is around us. Included in what's around us, of course, are many human creations - including those that would never have been possible without scientific thinking (and engineering, in particular). The Web is a particularly pertinent example.

I don't see this as depressing.

And surely scientists are more worthy of respect as fellow (occasionally fallible and emotional) human beings rather than as pure rationalists. I suppose no scientist would actually claim to be a pure rationalist, but Science itself comes across as claiming pure rationality.

Or is that just 'Shona-talk'??