Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings (Faldage)

Humanum humani est sorry if there are mistakes in Latin

My experience of academic life is somewhat contradictory to reports about sexism in science. I don’t know why situation should be worse in States than in Russia or in Britain. During my undergraduate years I did encounter a lecturer who though that a woman can not have 5 in Physics but that was his personal problem – he was forced to be objective and his private opinion didn’t matter. People in Russia are judged by their academic merit (sometimes by connections as well) but the sex doesn’t matter. 2 out of 7 heads of Departments of the Faculty of Biology of the Belorussian State University are women and most of the lecturers are women as well.

In UK my supervisor was a woman. She is a brilliant scientist: Prof., MRS etc Most of her PhD students were women and at least tree of them have become professors and group leaders. None of the men did. My supervisor is married. All her female former PhD students that are professors and group leaders are married and have children

I think talks that women are not getting education they deserve are outdated. In Russia it is considered that to be a doctor is a good profession for a female. I have always been encouraged by my parents to study whatever I wish. They had been helping me though the years of my undergraduate studies sending me money and would have done so during my postgraduate studies if I didn’t do my degree in UK. I am immensely grateful to them for all they did for me. (btw, I know microbe hunters . it has been translated into Russian) So there are parents and parents. Yes, there are not many women- politicians in Russia but the number of women-politicians does not reflect a situation with the right of women in the country. Think about Benasir Bhutto and Pakistan, for example.

Cleaning – washing - cooking –mending is not taking a lot of time anymore, thanks to vacuum-cleaner, washing machine, microwave etc. It is a question of choice that every woman should make alone: do I want to be a house wife? Do I want to be a professional and earn the money? What is my choice – a brilliant career and no family or a less successful career but I want to have children as well?

I think it is time to move from feminism, which fights with man’s world to post-feminism, which understands: women are equal with men but we have to improve ourselves rather then cry about oppression and underestimation.