yes, and railroad flat was the same... but seeing as how railroad cars were more common in NYC than shotguns, a different name for the same thing, almost..

the entry door to the apartment was on the side, but once in the front room, you could see through to the last room, (usually the location of the fire escape) windows in the interior rooms opened on to shafts, sometimes the were cut in at a corner, so the shaft had 4 window, per floor, two from one apartment and two from an other apartment (in an other building) unless you were on the top floor, the windows got almost no light, and less fresh air.

when i was a kid, my parents apartment was a step up.. it had a long straight hall, one side of the apartment.. you opened the front door, the was an entry to living room on the left, straight ahead, a foyer, and from that a left entry to the dining room at the end of the foyer, the hall (in line with the front entry door,) was 60 feet long! (we had a 7 room apartment and every room came off that hall!) at the end was the entry to my parents bedroom.
Shot would have spattered before it hit the window in the back of my parents bedroom!