So, in the interests of consistency, do all you who so scrupulously try to avoid "try and" exercise no less diligence in avoiding the equally "incorrect" examples quoted by tsuwm?

The examples were go, come, send, try.

I haven't seen the alternatives much at all. Apparently, some will say, "Are you going to go and watch the game?", "I will come and see you later.", and "I will send and ??? (I can't even imagine this construction - a little help, somebody?), in addition to the more-familiar "I will try and get the work done."

I have a problem with all of these constructions, when not used precisely. I can see meaning "I will go and I will watch the game" rather than "I will go to watch the game", but 99.42 percent of the time, or more, people using the "try and" construction mean "try to." After all, if one accomplishes the goal (I have gotten the work done), whether or not one was trying (~ attempting) to get the work done becomes irrelevant in most contexts. The trying part becomes relevant only when the task is still in the future and its accomplishment uncertain, or if the task failed but the effort and attitude devoted to it is worth acknowledging. Don't cha think?