the yellow river in china, gets its name from the yellow loess soil that get washed into the river as silt.

when traveling cross country a few years ago, we (son and i) detoured to norther nebraska to visit car henge. (stone henge, recreated with car frames instead of stone monoliths)

i was rather impressed with the soil of nebraska. it was not at all the same as eastern soil.. it seemed like fine grey silt. my soil in my (last dying days) yard, is sandy, (given the all of long island is a giant sand bar) and years of composting and work, have improved it, but it is still sandy, well drained soil. but it is also dark, (well the first six inches, after that, a sandy layer, and finally, 12 to 15 inch down pure sand, suitable for mining-- the sand is a nice golden color.)

previously, i had a (house)yard with clayish soil. (again, years of work and composting had improved the texture, but it was pretty stiff clay, after you went down a bit.

by contrast, the soil in nebraska was almost white! i don't think i have ever seen loess. (but i have seen the red clay that is so predominant in the southern parts of US.)
We have a poster from the loveland area in ohio.. maybe he can tell us about the soil there abouts...
and do we have anyone here from peroria? or pisgah(where is that?!)