A Westford, Mass. company by the name of Captivate Network has discovered a new demographic to bombard with news and advertising: "vertical-ites"

The company discovered that high income Manhattanites spend "six minutes a day alone in an elevator". "That's 30 minutes a week, 26 hours a year -- longer than some New York romances", we are told.

Encouraged by its success in Manhattan, Captivate is bringing its elevator video screen service to 1,100 of the 1,700 best office towers in North America, including the former Arco building in downtown Los Angeles and the Sears Tower in Chicago. And there's even a new feature for AWADiphiles in transit between floors. Here's what Captivate's President has to say (as reported in today's LA Times).

"I tell my editors, 'Give people the 'Oh, wow factor,' " said Mike DiFranza, the president of Captivate. Which accounts for the "word of the day" feature. Thursday it was "ineffable," defined as "indescribable" and illustrated thus: "The chef adored the ineffable aroma of the Italian truffle." DiFranza does not see this bite or his "power poll" questions -- Would you be more productive with a midday nap? -- as an intrusion into the john-sized space of an elevator. (According to e-mailed responses to the nap question, 76% said yes and 9% said they already nap at their desk.)

Which leaves me wondering. How would most AWAD subscribers prefer to receive their "word a day"? Seated on the horizonal plane or verticalizing between floors?