Spart:

I remember that passage when I read the book, and at the time I took it as hyperbole.

English has no verb form that pins down the time. I attack, I do attack, I am attacking. I attacked, I have attacked.

If I want you to attack now, I say, "Attack now." I don't say, "Oh, whenever you get around to it, and when you thing all the omens are right, move forward and shoot a few of the enemy over there on the right flank." Actually, strategic orders generally do not supply specifics such as "attack now" though they do at the tactical level.

I took both Russian and German, many years ago, and I don't remember any verb forms along the lines Turtledove was implying. I think most languages would use adverbial formations to get across the point of timeliness. Latin definitely uses adverbs (nunc (now) comes immediately to mind.) And notice how "immediately" works in the last sentence.

In looking back at your quote I'm coming to the conclusion that Turtledove was just prattling on to get a few more words on paper. He's really good at that. (though i still enjoy his stories!)

Ted

TEd