Max and others

1. As far as I am aware, carrom (as I've always spelt it), is only played on square boards. The holes/pockets, are at each corner.

2. There is a special 'piece', the Striker, which you place on your base line and use to hit the other 'coins'. Strikers are usually made of some heavy plastic, celluloid used to be favoured (and before that, ivory). The striker must always be 'flicked' by forefinger or middle finger (depending upon local rules, the thumb may be allowed for 'back' shots), and never pushed.

3. There are nine white coins, nine black coins, and one red/purple coin - the Queen. Coins are made of wood. The black and white coins count a point each, and the Queen counts 5.

4. Tournament level boards have a playing surface of a 4 foot square (approximately), with edges at least 5 or 6 inches thick (to provide solidity for a consistent rebound).

5. Preferred 'lubricant' for the board is Boric Acid powder.

Yes, obviously, I played the game a great deal when I was younger. I worked in an advertising agency in Bombay for about 4 and a half years, and each lunch time was spent playing carrom. What joy it is to have had a misspent youth! I could bore you, if you wanted, with further detail, but perhaps this is enough.

cheer

the sunshine warrior