Canton is not in current use in the US military, and in 30 years of hanging around with those types I've never heard it as a verb.

Back in the mid 70s my brother was in the US Army, stationed in Frankfurt, Germany -- he referred to the barracks area as a cantonment. In the context he used, it was a permanent billet, unlike the dictionary definition of cantonment which indicates that cantonment means a temporary billet.

Of course, you have to remember that temporary has a somewhat different meaning to the military. When I was a kid growing up in the DC area, the entire north side of the National Mall from the White House all the way west to the shadow of the Lincoln Memorial was polluted visually with "temporary" office buildings that had been erected in 1942, shortly after we became involved in WW II. These buildings were still in use in 1968 (a long story having to do with Ted's almost getting caught bootlegging liquor from DC into Virginia). It seems to me these "tempos" were still there in January 1973 (Nixon's second inaugural), so they were at least 30 years old when finally removed. Some of the land they occupied is taken up with the Vietnam Wall.

TEd