At ALA, we define a challenge as a formal, written complaint,
requesting that library materials be removed from the collection.

Local library policy would determine the exact procedures to be
followed, but most all require the complainant file a form with the
library to start the reconsideration process.
Hope this helps.

Beverley Becker, Associate Director
ALA Office for Intellectual Freedom

Yesterday afternoon while at the downtown Birmingham Public Library, on a whim I decided to test Mz. Becker's statement as to how a library reacts to a challenge from a disgruntled citizen about a book in the library's collection. Mind, you picket storming friends of Librarius, I am not belaboring any point, I am merely reporting events as they transpired.

Me: (walking up to the most librarian-looking person of the five busy people working in the open-enclosure of the fiction department on the first floor.) Ah hem! Pardon me Miss, would you supply me a form for challenging a book that I feel is inappropriate for this library to buy and put on display?

Nice Lady: Gee, I don't know Mister, they just bring 'em to us and we put 'em on the shelves. Say, what book did you find offensive?

Me: (smiling) Mam, I didn't find any book offensive, I just wanted a "form" to show my chat-mates on a computer link that I frequent, how challenges to filth are handled in Alabama. After all this is Book Banning Week.

Nice Lady: (A long pause. then nervously) Yes! Yes! We have those forms! I have them here...somewhere. Can you give me just a minute. I've know they're here. I...

Me:( embarrassed by her duress ) Uh, take your time, I'm in no hurry. I'll be near-by looking over some books. I am sure you will find it.

I walk through the "L's and N's of fiction shelves while they (she has enlisted other workers to help) frantically go from desk to desk in search of the Book Banning form. Almost immediately I, with the serendipity born of the good, chance upon a book entitled "GAY EROTICA, GAILY DESCRIBED".

I thought - Boy Hidy, I bet I'd need a handful of forms for this hot number, and yeah, what about all the choice phrases that I could lift from this book to quote on Awad and thereby demonstrate my support of free speech?
But then I thought... Milo, you don't have the balls to check this book out.
So I don't.

Then from the corner of my eye I see the nice librarian. She is jumping up and down and waving her arms madly, a librarian's way of saying "Yoo-hoo!". With an imperceptible click of my heels I assume my best guise as a Gestapo Inspector General and walk in goose-step with a frown and a monocle toward the nice librarian. I slap my riding crop on her table and say, "Dame, fanden sie das papier? "

Me: Mam, did you find the paper?

Nice Lady: Yes! (beaming) Yes I did.

We move over to a high table and she shows me a thick loose leaf book of clear plasitic covered pages. Together we thumb through it but find no form. She is getting anxious, bordering on panic. Then, near the back, we come across a list of instructions on how to deal with a person who is complaining about the content of a library book.
Mercifully we read rule # 1 first, that advises; DON'T PANIC!

We laugh and skip to rule # 14 which said,
IF ALL ELSE FAILS TELL THE COMPLAINANT TO WRITE A DETAILED REPORT OUTLINING HIS OBJECTIONS TO THE ATTENTION OF THE CHIEF ADMINISTRATOR OF THIS LIBRARY.

That was it. There was no form.

Me: Well now we know. Thank you for your help, it is nice to know that there are librarians like you who so graciously serve the public.

Nice Lady:(a slight blush) Thank you, I'm sorry we didn't have the form....Wait! (calling me back) (whispering)...you know there's a lot books that I think we shouldn't carry, some of them written by hate groups, how to make a bomb and such, and you wouldn't believe some of the ones with foul language and perverted sex, why I'd shoot my own dog if I caught him reading such filth. Just yesterday a nasty
book came in and you wouldn't believe some of...

And she went on and on...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~