[rant]
While I share your opinion of nationalism, I think few today would observe the very fine distinction you draw between nationalism and patriotism. My Chambers defines a patriot as: "One who truly, though sometimes, loves and serves his fatherland." If I remember the quote correctly, it says: "patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings." Many who call themselves patriots are fond of the phrase "My - my country right or wrong, but always my country," which G.K. Chesterton described as being on the same moral level as "My mother, drunk or sober." It is not my intention to offend anyone, but the subject of nationalism/patriotism is one of very few that I feel so strongly about - both are anathema to me. Whether it should be so or not, it seems to me that the development of the nation-state has led to patriotism and nationalism becoming synonymous, at least in practice, if not in theory. As I type this I am listening to "An die Freude" - so that might be firing my supranationalist passions a little. I will close with a quote from G.B. Shaw that illustrates the apparent synonymity of patriotism and nationalism:
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior
to all others because you were born in it."
[/rant]