I suspect that the people of Eastbourne would be amused by the play in words..and would tell the story about themselves.

Well, it's a brilliant joke, and the younger residents definitely would (as I live in Sussex myself I've actually passed this joke on to a few locals) !

But possibly, Jo, that's a bit of an argument against your viewpoint of people rarely being cruel to others in their humour these days. Much as I admire the principle, and try to endorse the practice.

For one thing, humour is hardly ever solely directed at oneself, any more than it is solely directed at others.

I think you hit the nail on the head with humour is society's way of discussing difficult issues. Among those difficult issues are matters such as being unable to call a spade a spade, and having to politely ignore the unpleasant attributes of, say, old people and sick people whilst in their presence. Hence a lot of nurses and carers tend to have what could be seen as a "sick" sense of humour. This doesn't mean that they are at all uncaring, unprofessional and/or not suited to their work - it's just a much-needed occasional outlet, and maybe the flip-side of the coin to some of the horror they willingly take on in their working lives.

I think it's very true that laughter is the best medicine. It's also true that sometimes, in an otherwise unbearable situation, "you've just got to laugh".

After the recent floods where the centre of Lewes (England) was pretty much wiped out, I noticed a sign up outside the remains of a pub:

Opening soon - Lewes' first Scuba Bar!
Todays' Specials
Adam's Ale
Noah's Tipple
OUR BEERS AREN'T WATERED DOWN

Tears and laughter; instant enantiodroma.