its one of my favorite lunches, 3 or 4 falafal balls, lightly crushed, in a whole wheat pita (pocket bread, with shreaded lettuce and chopped tomato, garnishes with "white sause" a mixture of lemon juice and tahani (seseme paste--think of peanut butter made from crushed sememe seeds) -- $2.75! bought from a ny city falafal guy, a street vender.

some times i go all out and get the rice, salad and falafal platter, with a hot pita bread on the side, for $4.25. What a lunch.

the falafal guys use a ice cream type scoop to make the falafal balls, and they are done when they are a deep golden brown. lots of stores carry tahini, and you can use the tahini to make humas, too.

take a 1 16 ounce can of chick peas, drained, dump in food processor, with some fresh parsley, and 1 to 3 cloves of garlic (to taste) puree, and then add tahini paste, lemon juice, black pepper, and puree till smooth (how much tahini paste? any where from 1/4 cup to 1/12 cup) you can do it in a blender, (just do half at a time) serve in a dish, and scoop up with pita bread (as a meal or as an 1st course)
tahini paste, like peanut butter is high fat, (good fat, but still high) more make a creamier milder dish, less, a slightly drier, lower calorie, beanier spread.
(yes, that was a recipe, an no, i have no shame, and i don't care!)

what is so interesting is how different falafal taste from humas, and yet they have are both mostly chickpeas. (with garlic, parsley and tahini, (on incorporated, one as a garnish))