Here's a copy of the discussion on the other board, to save you re-posting them.

jmh
(addict)
Thu Oct 12 18:00:37 2000 momentarily
Yes if you have a few hours to spare you could search on the word “momentarily” to find rather clear dividing lines on the subject. I would never use the word "YART".

Myself, I vary from cross to highly amused by the term. It always seems strange to land "for a moment" or stop at a train station "for a moment", it hardly seems worth the effort.

tsuwm
(addict)
Thu Oct 12 18:10:05 2000 Re: momentarily

>I would never use the word "YART".

yes, isn't it gusting how these abstruse acronyms are bandied about by those in the know?

jmh
(addict)
Thu Oct 12 18:19:10 2000 Re: momentarily

>yes, isn't it gusting how these abstruse acronyms are bandied about by those in the know?

Only momentarily, in my experience.

Marty
(journeyman)
Thu Oct 12 20:34:30 2000 Re: momentarily

you could search on the word momentarily to find rather clear dividing lines on the subject. I would never use the word "YART".

Oops, I see what you mean, Jo. I guess it's a perennial problem for bulletin boards like this with new contributors joining constantly. I don't have a solution, I'm afraid. I'll be buggered (excuse the French) if I'm going to search all postings for keywords before I start typing a response, or wade through them all as a one-off familiarization, so I guess we'll all have to just sigh, think YART to ourselves, and be patient.

wsieber
(member)
Fri Oct 13 01:10:53 2000 Re: YART

Having reflected on this problem, which is likely to grow exponentially with the size and age of the Board, only one (radical) solution occurred to me: Make the program delete the posts once they have reached a certain age. This would - however coarsely - simulate the behaviour of human memory..
Since we are interested in contributions from new subscribers, we should not raise the threshold by constant cries of YART. A schoolteacher is also obliged to repeat many things in a yearly rhythm.

Max Quordlepleen
(enthusiast)
Fri Oct 13 01:24:52 2000 Re: YART
Since we are interested in contributions from new subscribers, we should not raise the threshold by constant cries of YART

I agree! One of the appealing things about this Board is its eclecticism, and lack of elitism. Excessive verbal spanking for YARTing could scare off potential contributors. In a private message to someone, I said that Anu reminds me of Charlie from "Charlie's Angels", an unseen benevolence. I wonder if there's any chance that our Charlie could be petitioned for an opinion on YARTing?