In reply to:

Are standards of teaching English really slipping in schools? or is this change just part of language's dynamism which I have applauded in other threads?

I fear a bit of both. Standards of reading have, IMO, declined considerably, with TV (monitors, computer screens, what have you) being the primary source of linguistic 'input' for children. As a result, not only are the old spelling/grammar values not present, but also the quality of the language is probably 'simplified' to cope with verbal comprehension (see my thread on 'speaking in sentences'). If, therefore, children and young adults have no experience of dealing with complex sentences and words, I doubt if they will have any respect for the fine distinctions that AWADophiles attempt to maintain.

With regard to the dynamism of language, I agree that it is to be applauded, but, ideally, when it is creative rather than simply destructive. This is a personal opinion, but I mourn the loss of 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating', for the relatively meaningless 'the proof's in the pudding'. I have mixed feelings about chaise lounge (and I have posted about this before), because I like the serendipitous connection between the misspelling and mispronunciation with the activity most likely to be performed in the long chair, but, as must be obvious, I rue the loss of the etymological connection between chaise longue (the original) and the shape of the chair itself.

cheer

the sunshine warrior