The Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraser is a very good source for Victorian history
Have you read these, Rhuby?

All of them, Jackie. Twice. I highly recommend them for a thumping good read and some incredible insights into 19th century life all over the world. Flashman visited the US several times and they have so far been recorded in Flash for freedom about the slave ships into Nawlins,Flashman and the Redskins about the '49 gold rush and the Sioux wars of '76 and Flashman and the Angel of the Lord about the Harper's Ferry insurrection. He also took part in the US Civil War but this book hasn't been written yet. Mr. MacDonald Fraser had better hurry up because he's pushing past 80 and I would hate to see him give up before the series is complete.

My all-time favourite is Flashman and the Great Game about the Indian mutiny. Oh, and if you want to know a bit about cricket then read Flashman's lady. There's an excellent commentary on a real match played between MCC and the gentlemen of England in 1842. Classic stuff.