The prefix Pan- means all, or everything, right? Same as Pantheism, Pantheon. So does this word indicate life from anywhere (but earth)? If it only refers to life perhaps coming from Mars then the coinage is very general. Mind you, at the time Mars probably seemed so exotic. I think the theory is certainly worth further research - better to sink money into that, than a really expensive, long-term international diplomacy conference in space! ISS might make some sense if everything down here wasn't shot to pieces.

I heard some speculation that the big question involves what happens in the primordial mass of cooling particles at the start of a solar system. When water combined with other elements has coagulated to a mere few kelvin in a *liquid form, certain sized clumps with the right ingredients will eventually(!) form that are particularly conducive to creating complex molecules, carbon strings, amino-acids, and well, what we call life. If anyone can explain any theories on the birth of solar systems and the relation to the birth of life, I'd love to hear 'em. Should any acceptable answer be possible, it will have to look at least that far back, I'd think.

As to alien spurs, let me just say one word: mushrooms :-)