Dear wwh,

Nice having this little chat with you about birds. I doubt anybody else is reading here! Ha!

Anyway, I read a little about the bird's respiratory system this afternoon and learned that there are sacs into which the air goes--nine sacs altogether plus the lungs. The air goes into the sacs before it passes into the lungs according to the reference I checked.

No sac looked like a condom in the one diagram I checked out, but that was probably just the way the illustrator diagrammed the system.

There was nothing written about birds that were suffering heat and how they may breathe any differently.

There was an interesting note that we mammals breathe impure air mixed with incoming air, never completely pure--but birds always have pure air to breathe, air pollution aside.

There was also mentioning of cranes have such a long trachea that it loops around--thereby giving them their loud, sonorous calls.

Thanks for the interesting information so far, and, after I finish my final paper, I'll return to birds.

Bird regards,
WhoopingWind