This is what I am mainly interested in. As one would expect, the language of Americans, or to be more precise, of people living in New York, is not always clear. As in our country, intelligent people speak plainly, intelligibly, and sometimes figuratively. Also as in our country, those who are less educated speak less intelligibly and distinctly. It made me giggle, once, when I heard two Afro-American mothers quarelling on the subway. One was called Mona; both were overweight (each weighed roughly 200 kilos) for their height, which was about 165 cm, and they were young to be so heavy - no more than about 25 years old. It was difficult to bear their shouting, and it was only possible to make out certain words - by percentage, they used "f***" about 50% of the time, "bitch" 25%, and "shut up" 25%. Everything else was some syncretic act of will, inseparable into phrases, words or sounds. The performance went on for about 5 minutes, until the one called Mona left and the other stayed on the train. Both appeared to have been very satisfied with the conversation.

Journalists on television speak diversely too. It is very pleasant to listen to some analysts, despite the intricate phrases they sometimes use. It is more difficult to understand comedians, as they use plenty of idioms, slang and jargon, and their word play often has the American audience in tears of laughter. Meanwhile I sit like an idiot, wondering what was so funny? It is amazingly delightful to listen to the BBC news from Britain: it is delivered in fine English, with no word play. Now and then, when you listen to some American announcers, you can hardly set apart separate words under a thick layer of hanging "r". [Rabat] For example, the word "perhaps" can be pronounced as "pRaps." Nevertheless, I feel that the more I listen, the better I understand everybody around. It becomes a habit of learning how others speak, probably.

Usually different people speak in different manners. Subway conductors elide the station stop announcements, so that, for example, "Atlantic Avenue" becomes " 'tlAnic Avn." Afro-Americans form a majority among the personnel of the underground; they do not stress their r's, the "a" is pronounced like in "apple" with a very strong accent, and the rest of the word is chewed up and lost.
Manhattan clerks, irrespective of the color of their skin, have a specific New York accent. It is a slightly lisping pronunciation with a soft L and R. I understand them although I can not speak like this. I think I will learn how to do it.

You can imagine the manner of speech of the emigrants from former USSR. Besides this, children have learned at school a "teenage" English which is clear only to them. At present I have an impression that 50% of teenage speech consists of two phrases: "A'roonou" and "Shjarap," which mean, respectively, "I don't know" and "shut up." The rest of their conversation is made up of interjections, exclamations and giggles.
This is exactly the situation in Belarus as well - parents do not understand the language of their teenage children.

In general, concerning the language of Russian emigrants speaking with Americans and the tendencies I've noticed: less-educated Americans say, "I don't know" as "A'ronnou." The poorly-educated among our population enthusiastically accept this as "real" American pronunciation. They watch Conan O'Brien and others on TV, only programs that are broadcast in Russia, therefore they do not hear normal speech. The same occurs with "twenty," which becomes "twoni." Recent Russian (and other) can't do this sentence, sorry Vika, am not sure what you're trying to say? emigrants sorry with Russian ?R?, [Rabat] and father as ?phasae , sister - systeR, brother - brathaeR. Our emigrants have also developed an idiomatic Russian where Russian grammar is used with input, declination and conjugation from English. For example: On whom are you applying? (To apply to submit the application, say, for work)

****end edit****

for above noted in red, did you mean to say "idiotic" or is "idiomatic" more what you were after? I changed it but could have been mistaken as to your intent.

hope this helps!

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.