The one thing I couldn't find out is how commercial donuts have so little oil on them.

it has to do with the chemistry of frying.. the best (read least greasy/oily/fatiest) fried food are fried twice..

frying is a form of dry heat.. (just like baking) food should go into very hot fat to sear (seal the surface) then the temperture should be lowered to allow the food to cook with out burning..the searing heat of the first cooking seal the surface, and prevents oil from permeating the dough.

so first submerge the doughnuts in very hot oil (something the best doughnut resist, because they are air filled.) then remove and cook again in hot oil till they are done...

duel cooking -- is one of the sciences of cooking...

but KK's are especialy good because they are a very light yeast raised dough.

second note
The Pilgrims learned this is Holland, where they were living and learning skills. most were barred from membership in english guilds. the Mayflower brought over Master Knitter, and Master Weavers, and other Masters at guilded crafts. (i am interested in textiles, so i know these for sure.. it took six years of training to become a master knitter.) They did not bring gold smiths, because they said no need, but did bring silver smiths. all these masters had mastered their crafts in Holland, a country with more religious tolerence than england (especially to foriegners who were not planning on staying beyond there training.)

in the early 1650's there were informal agreements between New Amsterdam and the New england colonies, against the french and indians. Since the french were more interested in trading with the indians, and not in settling land, they often had better relationships. Connecticut's tail that juts into NY is an artifact of this.. the snip of land from stanford to greenwich was originaly part of NY, and traded to Connecticut as part of joint defence treaty.