Hi bel -

maybe this is a Canajun thing, then? because I put my clothes in a closet, and my kitchen things in cupboards. I also have a cupboard in the bathroom for toothpaste and other toiletries....

The wardrobe mentioned in The Lion, The Witch and... is a detached, free-standing creature, in the illustration (ie, not necessarily a representation sanctioned by the author) in the edition I have (Puffin 1979 reprint). However, the language describing it seems to suggest it was a free-standing unit:

And shortly after that they looked into a room that was quite empty except for one big wardrobe...

It later says the only other thing in the room was a dead bluebottle...so I'm guessing the wardrobe was also something that could be moved (although with considerably more effort than the bluebottle!). In a later book it is revealed that the wardrobe was made from the wood of a tree planted in a garden in London - so yes, it must've been free-standing, no?

My impression is that wardrobes are free-standing closets; closets are set into the wall in a room; and cupboards are smaller units, often with shelves (as opposed to the closet or wardrobe's single shelf, along the top, a cupboard may have more than one - and even if it only has one, that often breaks the cupboard's space in half, if ye know what I mean).

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.